The Appalachian Clubhouse is a historic building constructed in 1934 in the Elkmont Historic District. The structure has been rehabilitated by the National Park Service to closely resemble its 1930's appearance, with the addition of few modern amenities such as electricity and running water. The building was originally used a gathering spot by lessees and guests of the Appalachian Club whose members, mostly from Knoxville, built rustic cabins nearby to serve as weekend or summer retreats in the years before the Park was created. Today the 3,000 square foot clubhouse provides an excellent location for meetings, events and celebrations with the added charm of exposed wooden beams and massive stone fireplaces at each end, equipped with gas logs.
The 3,000 sq ft. clubhouse features a large, open meeting hall (60' x 25') with french doors along the entire east side, opening onto a broad, roofed porch with rocking chairs, overlooking the forest and a small creek. There is no heating or air conditioning at the Clubhouse, but the Ballroom does provide four ceiling fans and 12 electrical outlets, in addition to an outlet in each room. The Clubhouse is furnished with 12 (60") round tables seating 8 people each, 8 (3'x6') rectangular tables and 110 folding chairs to go with them. A sofa and chairs at one of the fireplaces, provides a nice sitting area, but no other furnishings are provided. The Appalachian Clubhouse does not have a kitchen or cooking facilities like a stove or refrigerator, but there is a double sink with hot and cold running water and a warming kitchen (168 sq ft.) with 32 sq ft. of counter space. Six electrical outlets in the warming kitchen can be used to keep food warm and accommodate catering. There are no restrooms inside the main building, but accessible restrooms with cold running water, flush toilets, electric lights and hand dryers are located about 150 ft. from the building.
Two popular trailheads: Jakes Creek and Little River, are located near the clubhouse. The adjacent Elkmont Campground offers traditional outdoor camping. Gatlinburg, a one of the Smokies' famous tourist towns, is located a short drive from the clubhouse, offering tours, organized rafting trips, museums, restaurants, galleries, an aquarium, skiing and more.
The Appalachian Clubhouse is located in the southern portion of Elkmont in an historic district referred to as "Daisy Town," between the mouths of Jakes Creek and Bearwallow Branch. The facility is surrounded by the lush forests and steep ridges of Tennessee's Upper Little River Valley, and provides no shortage of both scenic and historic attractions within walking distance of the clubhouse.
Most visitors to the clubhouse host parties or meetings in the expansive, historic space. Although the clubhouse features a few modern amenities, it is still quite rustic in comparison to most venues and requires careful event planning prior to arrival. Tablecloths, tableware, projectors, screens, extensions cords, paper towels, etc. are not provided and must be brought by the renter. Visitors preparing for an event may not pin or tape decorations, balloons, banners, directional signage, etc. anywhere in the park. To ensure visitors arrive safely at the event location, provide guests with directions prior to their departure. Individuals wishing to reserve the Clubhouse for a wedding, wedding reception and/or wedding photography, will need an additional Special Use Permit and may click here for more information.
500 Elkmont Road, Gatlinburg, TN 37738