Our kids look forward to Halloween as a time to have fun dressing up with friends, and of course to load up on candy!
Here are ten tips for making sure this special night is fun and safe:
1. Plan your route in advance, and talk through it with your kids in advance.
2. Wear reflective clothing or add reflective tape to your clothing.
3. Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume.
4. Dress for the weather. Halloween can be very cold and very wet in some areas.
5. Walk on the sidewalk. If there are no sidewalks, then always walk on the side of the road facing traffic.
6. Obey all regular traffic and pedestrian laws.
7. Be very careful when crossing streets. Do not assume drivers see you, until their vehicle comes to a complete stop.
8. Tell children to stay away from open flames. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire.
9. Only eat packaged treats, like wrapped candy bars and sealed packs of loose candy.
10. Avoid masks - they can make it difficult for your child to see or breathe.
Happy Halloween, and have fun Trick-or-Treating!